A Lanarkshire MSP has slammed the decision to block a second independence referendum being held next year.The UK Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday that any referendum would require approval from the UK Government as well as the Scottish Government before going ahead - something that the current Conservative government have stated they will not do.First Minister Nicola Sturgeon had hoped to call a second poll on the union next October, and has previously said that the next general election would serve as a de facto referendum for her party if plans for a second indyref were blocked.The Lanarkshire Live app is available to download now.
Get all the news from your area – as well as features, entertainment, sport and the latest on Lanarkshire’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic – straight to your fingertips, 24/7.The free download features the latest breaking news and exclusive stories, and allows you to customise your page to the sections that matter most to you.Head to the App Store and never miss a beat in Lanarkshire - iOS - Android Now Clare Haughey, the MSP for Rutherglen, has hit out at the verdict.
She told Lanarkshire Live : “Of course, I am very disappointed with the Supreme Court’s ruling. Nonetheless, their decision shatters the notion that the UK is a voluntary union, as long believed, or a partnership of equals, and exposes a situation that is quite simply unsustainable. "From now, the independence movement is as much about democracy as it is about independence."Scotland’s independence remains essential if we are to escape the disaster of Brexit, the damage of policies imposed by governments we don’t vote for, and a UK economic model which delivers inequality and poverty."Scotland's voice must be heard -Read more on dailyrecord.co.uk