prince Andrew Royal Navy Britain Scotland USA state Virginia Duke Beyond prince Andrew Royal Navy Britain Scotland USA state Virginia

Prince Andrew stripped of military titles and royal patronages by the Queen

Reading now: 653
dailyrecord.co.uk

The Queen has agreed to strip the Duke of York of his honorary military roles and royal patronages, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The move is a major blow to Andrew who is facing a looming civil sexual assault court showdown after a judge ruled on Wednesday that the case could go ahead.

The Palace said in a statement: "With the Queen's approval and agreement, the Duke of York's military affiliations and royal patronages have been returned to the Queen."The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen."It comes after more than 150 veterans joined forces to express their outrage, writing to the Queen to demand Andrew was removed from the honorary military positions.Accusing the duke of bringing the services he is associated with into disrepute, the 152 former members of the Royal Navy, RAF and Army said that "were this any other senior military officer it is inconceivable that he would still be in post".The Queen is head of the armed forces, and honorary military appointments are in her gift.The Palace said previously that the duke's military appointments were in abeyance after he stepped down from public duties in 2019.But until now he still retained the roles, which left the eight British regiments, including the Grenadier Guards of which he was Colonel, in limbo more than two years on.Virginia Giuffre is suing the duke in the US for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager.She claims she was trafficked by Epstein to have sex with Andrew when she was aged 17 and a minor under US law.The duke has strenuously denied the allegations. Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here .

Read more on dailyrecord.co.uk
The website celebsbar.com is an aggregator of news from open sources. The source is indicated at the beginning and at the end of the announcement. You can send a complaint on the news if you find it unreliable.

Related News

express.co.uk
64%
451
'Disgraceful and disrespectful' Rachel Riley hits out at government in wake of #partygate
Boris Johnson is facing mass scrutiny as it has been alleged that Downing Street staff held two parties the night before Prince Philip's funeral - at a time when Covid restrictions banned indoor mixing.Taking to social media, Countdown star Rachel Riley has shared her thoughts on the government’s actions in a scathing tweet.The newest reports of illegal Downing Street parties, first brought to light by The Telegraph, say that the events took place on April 16, 2021, and went on until the early hours.Boris is facing calls to resign from the opposition as well as some senior Tories but has urged MPs to wait for the outcome of an investigation into lockdown gatherings in government buildings by senior civil servant Sue Gray.Taking to Twitter Rachel, 36, shared a video of Sky News presenter Trevor Phillips recalling the death of his own daughter during this period. Rachel tweeted out to her 693,200 followers: “As more and more has trickled out about party after party, the image of the Queen sitting alone at her husband’s funeral, and stories like @TrevorPTweets really put the behaviour of the government into perspective. “Disgraceful and disrespectful spring to mind,” she added.The tweet she shared read: “Trevor Phillips shares his experience during lockdown, when one of his daughters was very ill.“She died not long after the funeral of Prince Philip, when it is alleged that those working for the government met despite Covid rules.”The video clip attached came from Trevor Phillips on Sunday, where the presenter could be seen trying to restrain his emotions as he challenged Oliver Dowden, one of the party’s co-chairs, over whether the prime minister understood public anger over these gatherings.During the interview, Trevor
express.co.uk
76%
517
'Woefully entitled' Piers Morgan slams Prince Harry for giving Queen 'massive headache'
Good Morning Britain presenter Piers Morgan has savagely branded Prince Harry a "shameless, deluded, woefully entitled hypocrite" in his latest column for The Sun.The journalist, who left his GMB presenting job in 2020 after being called out for criticisms he made against Meghan Markle, appears to be angered over Prince Harry’s request for police protection for his family when they visit the UK.Piers, 56, is an outspoken critic of Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, whom he once accused of lying about having suicidal thoughts after the actress appeared in a tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey in March 2021.Now, Piers has claimed that the Queen’s grandson has “piped up from his Californian mansion” at the time where she needs it the least. Piers suggested that Harry was making everything "more difficult" for his grandmother "during the most difficult times of her life".Piers began by saying that he took issue with Prince Harry and Meghan’s television appearances at a time when Prince Philip was “dying in hospital”. He went on to explain that, in the light of Prince Andrew’s current sexual abuse allegations which the Duke of York has denied, Harry was once “rubbing salt” in the Queen’s “emotional wounds”. Harry’s threat of legal action after not being granted British police protection while in the UK, Piers argues, is causing his grandmother undue distress during another “difficult” time. Piers said: “The petulant prince is threatening legal action - is there ever a time when he isn’t? Unless the Home Office caves and restores the royal security he enjoyed before his dramatic flounce to America.“If he goes through with his threat, it will be the first time any royal has ever sued Her Majesty’s Government, and, of course,
express.co.uk
52%
906
'I can't sweat!' Rebel Wilson cracks jokes at Prince Andrew as she announces new role
Prince Andrew, and suggested she doesn't plan on "sweating" during her upcoming presenting role because of a "peculiar medical condition". Posting on the social media platform, the Australian actor, 41, said she is looking forward to hanging out with James Bond stars Daniel Craig and Judi Dench when she hosts the BAFTA Awards 2022 in March. In view of her 10.4 million followers, Rebel announced her exciting news.Alongside a sultry snap of herself, she addressed her upcoming role as presenter of the BAFTA Film and TV Awards 2022.Rebel wrote: "I am very honoured to be hosting the EE British Academy Film Awards in March, where Covid will no longer exist because it will clearly have been cancelled by then."The award-winning actress went on to address her slim figure, as the comic quipped that she's no longer funny following her incredible weight loss.A post shared by Rebel Wilson (@rebelwilson)She continued: "It's going to be so much fun!"I don't wanna put any pressure on this - I know I'm not going to be funny because I am no longer fat."She also cracked a joke at the expense of the former Duke of York, Prince Andrew, following comments he made during an interview with BBC presenter Emily Maitlis in 2019.Rebel went on: "And besides, I'm not going to 'sweat-it' with nerves because I have a peculiar medical condition where I can't sweat...
express.co.uk
80%
467
'Utter humiliation' Piers Morgan hits out at Prince Andrew amid loss of military honours
Piers Morgan, 56, issued a blistering review of Prince Andrew’s situation following the latest ruling in the civil case being brought against him by Virginia Giuffre.The Queen stripped the Duke of York today of all his military titles and royal patronages.The TV presenter took to his Twitter account, where he boasts a following of 7.9 million, to weigh in on the latest update.He shared a statement from Buckingham Palace that read: “With the Queen's approval and agreement, The Duke of York's military affiliations and Royal patronages have been returned to the Queen."The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen."The former Good Morning Britain host commented: “Utter humiliation for Andrew but he only has himself to blame - and far worse is to come if he continues to try to stonewall his way out of any accountability re the serious allegations against him & his relationship with Epstein/Maxwell.”Within just two hours of posting, Piers’ tweet had already racked up more than 1,000 likes and 80 retweets.One Twitter user pointed out that the ongoing situation could be affecting the Queen.Jodie88883853 tweeted: “How horrible in the later years of her life HMTQ has to deal with so much personal sadness.“We all hope when get to this point in our life there is some sense of peace!” (sic)Prince Andrew will no longer be able to use his HRH title, Buckingham Palace confirmed.It follows Judge Lewis A Caplan ruling that the civil case against Prince Andrew can proceed to trial.The Duke’s lawyers had previously attempted to get the case dismissed.The royal’s defence team cited a 2009 deal signed by Ms Giuffre and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, which saw Ms