Get the day's biggest stories sent direct to your inbox so you never miss a thing The father of a man who died after falling into a lake and cutting his leg has spoken of his heartbreak.
Ben Smith-Crallan became severely ill following the fall at Botanic Gardens in Southport. The 37-year-old had developed a rare bacterial infection from the cut called Necrotising Fasciitis.
The infection first caused a blister to appear on his leg before the problem escalated and saw Ben being placed into a coma.
Eventually, he had to have his leg amputated before he died from the infection in June 2018. Ben's dad, Peter Smith-Crallan said: “If railings had been in place around the lake when Ben fell in, then my son wouldn’t have died.Read more on manchestereveningnews.co.uk