Botanic Gardens, Churchtown. He cut his leg and quickly became ill. Ben developed a rare bacterial infection from the cut called Necrotising Fasciitis (NF). READ MORE: Woman, 31, told to go to A&E after forgetting what day of the week it was The infection first caused a blister to appear on his leg before the problem escalated and saw Ben being placed into a coma.
Eventually, the 37-year-old had to have his leg amputated before he died from the infection. Ben's dad, Peter Smith-Crallan said: “If railings had been in place around the lake when Ben fell in, then my son wouldn’t have died.
What happened to Ben would not have happened. “Why have railings not been put up before now?“What happened to Ben, I don’t want to see that happen to any.Read more on msn.com