The Metropolitan Police has said it has received “a number of allegations of sexual assault in London” following news reports about comedian Russell Brand.The comedian and actor has strongly denied accusations made by four women in an investigation by The Sunday Times, The Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches.
But on Monday, the force said they have since received a “number of allegations of sexual offences in London” as well as elsewhere in the country.In a short statement, police said all allegations were non-recent and there have been no arrests.Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, from the Met’s Central Specialist Crime Command, said: “We continue to encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a sexual offence, no matter how long ago it was, to contact us.
We understand it can feel like a difficult step to take and I want to reassure that we have a team of specialist officers available to advise and support.”The force said it will be offering specialist support to all of the women who have made allegations.
On Saturday, Brand thanked his supporters for “questioning” the allegations of rape and sexual assault made against him.In the three-minute clip, posted on YouTube, Rumble and X, he said the week since the claims were published had been “extraordinary and distressing”. Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.Read more on dailyrecord.co.uk