Two people were rescued after a blaze broke out at a takeaway in Tameside, the fire service has said. Around 35 firefighters were called to the scene on Smallshaw Lane, Ashton under Lyne on Saturday morning.
As the Manchester Evening News reported, neighbours rushed to help each other after smoke began billowing above the Chilli Pickle fast food shop.
Residents were woken to the sound of ‘frantic’ knocking and sirens after a blaze broke out at around 8am. Nearby resident Mark Lloyd told how he he noticed two people stuck in a flat above the laundrette next door to the take-away.
He said: "There was smoke going up and then it turned to flames. It seemed to be at the back of the building at first. Read more: Police helicopter called out as youths chased for miles - before dog stopped them in their tracks "We knocked at the neighbours', then in the window above the laundrette two faces came through the window.Read more on manchestereveningnews.co.uk