county Norman county Mclean reports track BLOCK county Norman county Mclean

Council set to 'jump the gun' in rush to demolish Ayr high flats

Reading now: 112

South Ayrshire Council is 'jumping the gun' as it looks to rush through the £1.9m demolition of Ayr's high flats this week, despite the fact that residents still remain in their homes.The Leadership Panel will be asked to consider fast-tracking demolition of the Riverside Place buildings, with work pencilled in to begin in February for around six months.It is understood that the number of residents remaining in the high flats will be down to single figures within a couple of weeks.One of the reasons SAC cites for the sudden move, which is being made before any designs for the new flats have been revealed, is to clear away vegetation prior to bird nesting season.The council also says it is in advanced talks over the relocation of a telecommunications mast which is contracted to sit on the top of one of the blocks until 2025.Norman McLean, Chairman of Fort, Seafield and Wallacetown Community Council, has campaigned against the demolition and hit out at the latest move.He said: "This is jumping the gun and should be legally challenged."It appears that the original design has not been adopted and therefore there are no design proposals, there is no planning application for 'approximately 96 houses' and there appears to be more concern for the birds than the now few remaining residents."He questioned whether spending £1.9m in 'anticipation' of approval of designs, government subsidies and planning consent was about 'nesting season' or was an attempt to 'block any possible change of policy by an incoming Administration in May.He added: "This whole project appears to be completely out of control. "The money from the Housing Capital Programme would be better spent in Wallacetown to insulate these houses in anticipation of huge

The website is an aggregator of news from open sources. The source is indicated at the beginning and at the end of the announcement. You can send a complaint on the news if you find it unreliable.

Related News